Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Some experiences regarding fair monies being paid for services

1) On 2 occasions, I have hired an auto, agreeing to pay the "higher" fee he(auto driver) wanted. But since I knew how much exactly the fare would be, I paid exactly that, when I got down from the auto. Yes, I went back on my words. I simply paid the amount and started to walk away. The auto driver can do all that he wants: shout, curse, etc. But these guys can't hold anything against you because you haven't done anything wrong! Try it the next time. It works!
And it works because, you are on the right side! They are on the wrong side for having demanded extra fare. So, YOU have the Power! Use your Power!! Give it back to them in the same coin ;o)

2) On 1 occasion, my friend refused to pay the extra 1 rupee for "cooling charge" to a retailer selling mineral water. Law says you can't charge more than M.R.P. In fact, Doordarshan has been airing ads encouraging consumers to bargain on the M.R.P. itself. And here, these guys were trying to charge an extra rupee for "cooling charges"
The thing is not about that 1 rupee. It's about the "right" and "wrong" about the whole case. Because this retailer went to the length of saying, I have been in business for 50 years. I have seen the world. Never seen anyone fight for 1 rupee. He also said: Do what you can. Even if you get my shop closed, we'll have it opened for business in just 1 day's time!
This guy was standing inside the shop found outside Empire restaurant on Churchstreet, Brigade Road. I am guessing they are part of the Empire restaurant group. They sell everything from watches, to chocolates, etc.
My friend didn't pay that extra 1 rupee. He managed to create a scene though. And guess what people were telling him. "Listen, don't fight for 1 rupee. You anyway don't know who these guys are. It's in your interest to pay up."
Can you believe that!

3) On 1 occasion at Garuda Mall, my friend gave the chicken back to the shop saying it was stale. They happily replaced it for him. This shop's called "Chic-King" and I was pretty impressed with their Customer-friendly attitude. If only others can match such Customer Service standards...!!

4) In Mumbai, this auto driver gives back 2 rupees change to my folks, after they get down from his auto, after reaching their destination, a hotel. My folks are shocked. Because they had boarded this auto from outside a "happening" club, and the time was around 2am in the night!
Can Bangalore auto drivers be given a training session by such Mumbai auto drivers?

5) In Chennai, auto drivers don't go by the meter! I am so frsutrated with my experience there, I don't have the patience to even write about it. I curse them to the darkest hallows of hell. They are complete opposites of Mumbai auto drivers. I think this will lead to majority of public using mass transport there, like buses, local trains, etc. These will flourish, and these damned auto drivers are going to go out of business in the near future, I am telling you!

6) Lastly, coming to Fab-malls, Food worlds, and all other super-markets, it is amazing how they "round-off" bills! Just imagine this: if they don't pay you 40 paisa, or 50 paisa, though the bill says they should, and these folks say: "I don't have change...", and if they do this to the tens of thousands of customers that buy from them in any given month, then how much of "unaccounted for" money they end up with, in this way!!!! Do the math yourself: Rs.0.50 x 1,000 = Rs.500 in a month (and you know I have taken very modest figures here, as example) of extra money that should have been paid, but was not paid, on account of "no change"

And if you stand your ground, demanding that "small" change of few paise, then everybody looks down upon you, thinking you must be a real miser!

Article Source: http://www.ryze.com/posttopic.php?topicid=913147&confid=366#2885794

No comments: