Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Various Forms Of Consumer Exploitation

1) Adulteration of foods (use of unpermitted colours)

2) Sales of medicines after expiry date.

3) Spurious drugs (Sub-standard drugs)

4) Supply of blood from a blood bank infected with AIDS or other diseases.

5)Advertisement with false claims

6) Shortage of weight and quality Excessive price.

7) Death of a person due to medical negligence of a doctor.

8) Consumer redressal.

9) Always insist on cash bill.

10) Send a complaint petition to the manufacturer. If they do not respond within a reasonable time, file your petition before the court.

11) Get help from consumer organisations working in your area.

2 comments:

subbu said...

I am very happy to report that the banking ombudsman scheme really works. I was very sceptical before I made my last attempt, to resolve an issue with one of the largest financial institutions in the world operating in India, the great citibank - credit card service. Citibank used to harass me thro. telephone calls, thro their low paid call centre staff, asking to pay up my dues for wrongly calculated payables, interest, interest on interest, cost of a diary (worth INR40/-) which they charged me INR 500/-. I finally approached the RBI ombudsman not even with a letter, but just an email with facts stated clearly. I was myself surprised to get my grievance resolved to my 100% satisfaction and a confirmation from citibank itself to the effect, that the bank has no claims from me on any account and asking me to treat the matter closed.

Institutions in India work, but we as citizens need to do our part of the job.

Jai hind

subbu said...

I also had similar problems with the IT dept., the central excise etc. In each case, I had to go the extra mile, which we generally tend to avoid until we are pushed to the wall. It is just a test of your perseverance / grit, how far you will go. If your tenacity is a little low or if you have other priorities, then the other party takes control over you or gets the advantage. It is just sheer brow beating and see who blinks first.